Thursday, May 24, 2018

the letdown

I'm reminded of this Gunshow cartoon daily. Not least when I listen to NPR news most mornings. I should turn it off as soon as "Bird Note" is over.
The daily betrayals enrage me.
This is journalism? The "both-sides" fallacy, allowing practiced media reps to spout talking points without so much as an interruption, a fact check, a "scuse me?"
I cancelled my NY Times subscription not long ago. It was costing a lot and I wondered at the bend-over-backwards kind of journalism I kept seeing. About how to understand racists.
About the "real America."
This trope reminds me of the "beach body" fallacy. Women's magazines are forever coaching us on how to get that beach body.
Well here's something. I have a body, and I can go to the beach. Et voila.
I'm American and last time I checked I'm real.
Just because I live in the PNW and happen to believe that Nazis are bad and systematic racism is bad and the government should keep the hell away from my body and my rights, doesn't suddenly negate any of the previous sentence.
I'm thinking of getting a New Yorker subscription. Ronan Farrow has been killing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment