Thursday, July 12, 2018

i've been watching

I've been watching episodes of Queer Eye--the original Queer Eye--from the very first season, aired on Bravo in 2003 (most of season one is on Youtube). Besides all of the cringe-worthy aughties' hair--razor cut highlights, anyone?--and Carson Kressley zingers (I used to have hair just like yours. But I also used to be named Louise and I lived in Germany)--besides all of this, the thing I've noticed most is how unbelievably fragile a lot of the makeover candidate dudes are.
What is it with this disconnection between fiction (men are big/tough/strong/pillars of emotionless steel) and reality: VJ/Lost Boy Steven Smith petulantly refusing to tuck his big boy shirt into his pants? The war veteran who couldn't find his own kitchen if the path was tattooed on one of his gym-wrought biceps.
I know I know, toxic masculinity, male fragility and all that.
I'm just tres tired of maintaining the fiction.
Dang-a-langs aside (and they should be), some guys are good at life, some aren't.
Some women are, a few aren't.
Most women though, I have to say, are ballers. Tough as tanned bark, accomplished, smart, and quick learners, and they look great and smell nice and do 75% of the housework.
Shout out to my girls.
Stay cool, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment