Saturday, September 26, 2020

Decolonizing my bookshelf

With the help of friends and the Seattle Public Library, I've been working on de-colonizing my bookshelf. I realized as I was packing a couple of months ago that many--MANY--of the books I've held onto are written by old straight white guys. 

Nothing against old straight white guys. Some of them are terrific writers! (Looking at you and you.)

But, it's a particular worldview, isn't it? So, I got rid of 3 bags of books and have begun to read more experimentally.

Some finds:

  • A friend who adores sci-fi recommended Octavia Butler. We're reading her book of short stories together and have gotten on the phone to discuss.
  • I'm on a waiting list for e-books by Bryan Washington (his New Yorker stories are beyond brilliant) and Samantha Irby (also a screenwriter for the amazing "Shrill").
  • Continuing to read and listen to Dr. Ibram X. Kendi. I read "Stamped: Marked from the Beginning" a few years ago but I think it's time to re-read; he's also done a few public, online seminars over the past few months.
  • And I'm working my way through a list of mystery and thriller writers, starting with Rachel Howzel Hall. 
  • Several women in my life mentioned they're reading american dirt, the migrant story written by a woman who identifies as white. (Both knew about the controversy but chose to read anyway. Le sigh.) I want to read on this topic but by an author with integrity and moral authority. 
 So that's where I'm at. I'll report back with updates and more lists.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment