Saturday, November 14, 2020

dudes we (you) have a problem

I'm happily car-free and have tried to avoid Metro as much as I can because covid-19, which means I'm taking fairly long (2 or more hours) walks and runs to do errands or get to my writing studio.

Happily, I've dropped a few pounds. 

Unhappily, I've run into more than a few big-time, small-time dicks. (Props, Jezebel.)

A few months ago, the dude in the gigantic SUV who nearly mowed me down in a crosswalk, and when I threw up my arms and yelled, flipped me off and screamed, "Bitches like you always be tripping."

Yesterday, I walked down to the waterfront to pick up a package, and as I walked back up Pike, a guy in an SUV rolled directly into the crosswalk so that an elderly Black woman, properly masked, had to walk into 2nd Avenue to cross the street. She pointed at the crosswalk as she circled his SUV and he rolled down his window to scream, mask-less, at her. Oh, is this a crosswalk? I didn't know! Thank you for telling me, I didn't know. I heard his sarcastic screams and caught her eye. What an asshole, I said, in solidarity. She nodded. I added, You know it just means he has a tiny penis. She chuckled. You've got that right. I held up my pinky as the light turned. The woman in the passenger seat had pulled on her mask. Mortified? Over it? Dump him, sister.

Today, my walk took me along Westlake Avenue, where two guys approached pushing dollies loaded with stacks of U-Haul boxes. They took up most of the sidewalk so I slowed. The one pulled up his mask. The other just looked at me, smirking, and kept coming toward me. I stepped into the street--2 lanes of oncoming traffic--and said, Hey, mask up, dude. He just looked at me and came closer, beginning to howl with manufactured laughter. I pulled out my phone and turned. He was still doing this weird cackle in my direction. Let me get your picture, I called after him. Fuck, he yelled, and ran around the corner.

Dudes. 

C'mon with this toxic, petro-masculinity

Grow tf up.

No comments:

Post a Comment