Saturday, August 7, 2021

a tale of 2 visits

Last Saturday I took my shrink's advice and got out of town for the day. Two friends have been inviting me to stop by their waterfront houses and the heat and smoke in the city have been getting me down.

After some Zipcar confusion--at 6.30am the car wasn't parked in its space, but I used the "honk" feature to track it down 3 entire blocks away--and an early morning massage, a pal and I hopped the ferry to the peninsula. We won't worry about ferries or traffic, we promised ourselves.

On the Kingston side, we stopped at Borrowed Kitchen Bakery for deliciously flaky berry pastries and some cookies, and drove a few more miles to friend 1's beach cottage. We'd been texting. Come on by, they said. After proceeding down a narrow, tree-lined driveway, I parked and we got out and walked up to the house. There were two doors, so I knocked on one, then the other. Called my friend's name.We could see the water just beyond--was she on the beach? Or were we at the wrong house, and trespassing?

Finally my friend emerged and she seemed oddly nervous. After all the e-mails and texts, I felt like we were intruding. We stayed outside, did a little walking tour of the yard and down to the beach, admiring the water and trees and enjoying the cool air, then back up to the deck where an elderly dog barked vigorously. We gave her the cookies and left after less than thirty minutes, fleeing to a nearby gas station to use the bathroom, wash our hands, and hit the road.

Visit to friend 2 was later in the afternoon, on the return trip to the city. More texting, more directions, this time with a bottle of wine in hand. Another leafy drive, but this friend was waiting in front of her house when I drove up, smiling ear to ear and waving. There were hugs and exclamations--it was our first in person hangout in 16 months--and excited barking from the house: a general feeling of welcome. We got the tour of the property: yard, upstairs, downstairs, shop, greenhouse; and met the dogs, two big black eagerly-licking canines. we shared some wine, chatted and watched a spouse preparing guacamole, and left, feeling happy and welcomed.

Since last week, I haven't heard another word from friend 1. Friend 2 has been messaging all week. It reminds me of how much we need the lovers and carers. I don't have time anymore for the begrudging, the reluctant, the distant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment