Saturday, September 25, 2021

finally yes rain

seagull on a ledge
After a terribly dry and deadly hot summer, it's a mercy to finally receive rain. True PNW-ers have felt anxious about the ongoing drought, felt a constant low sizzle of worry as Labor Day came and went, as September wore on and all that fell was sprinklings of dusty drizzle. 

Last Friday, at a friend's island cabin, I woke in the night to hear a steady thrum of raindrops on the skylight. Relief washed over me like a sigh and I fell contentedly back to sleep. Rain. It poured, on and off, all weekend, on the body-armored border guards hassling us on our way out of the country, drenching the pink-haired raver girl walking across into BC, soaking my leggings as I shivered on a Vancouver street corner, remembering the umbrella at home on my table. 

At the hotel, a seagull perched on our window ledge, watching side-eyed as we settled in. Seagulls remind me of Mom, and this visitor felt like a rainy welcome. To be wet was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment