Saturday, January 14, 2023

what I'm reading late 2022

We haven't talked about reading lately!
OMG!
I truly am that excited. I read some incredible (and so-so) books in the latter part of 2022, including:

Memoir
Scenes from My Life/Michael K Williams
--Tough to read knowing he passed away shortly after it was written. Honest and sadly unforgiving.
I was Better Last Night/Harvey Fierstein
--Also honest and unforgiving. I didn't know of his deep history in equality and AIDS work
The Family Outing/Jessi Hempel
--Brilliant. Outing is explored in so many facets and Hempel is a thoughtful, incisive writer
A Visible Man/Edward Enninful
--I wanted more. It was interesting but I felt EE was holding back and a little star-crossed.
Putting the Rabbit in the Hat/Brian Cox
--Same. It felt self-aggrandizing (and it KILLS me to say this about Logan mf Roy).

Nonfiction
Five Days at Memorial/Sheri Fink
--About the 5 days following Hurricane Katrina. It felt factual (?) and also frustrating because I'm guessing most of the problems Fink identifies have not been solved.
The Palace Papers/Tina Brown
--This felt like a hit piece on Megan Markle, unfortunately. Shame, TB.
Red Notice and Freezing Order/Bill Browder
--These cover the Magnitsky murder and surrounding political activities. Fascinating.

Fiction
Maud's Line/Margaret Verble
--Even though the ending is a little rom-com, this story of Native American love, life, striving and loss is terrific.
Our Missing Hearts/Celeste Ng
--Great writing and characters, as always, and the sad ending cannot be avoided.
Murder on the Red River/Marcie Rendon
--Another strong story featuring a Native American woman protagonist who is stubborn, does and says and sleeps with whomever she pleases (and fights back, if necessary).
Who is Vera Kelly/Rosalie Knecht
--I'm working my way through these and I adore detective VK. They remind me of the Sara Gran/Clair DeWitt detective stories only slyer and with greater depth.
Yellow Wife/Sadeqa Johnson
--Another thoroughly researched take on a tough setting, enslaved peoples living, loving, and losing each other among the horrors. Imaginative and impossible to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment