Sunday, March 3, 2024

it got vicious fast

I attended a Manuscript Academy workshop a few weeks ago, dedicated to working on agent queries and synopses. I watched videos and submitted homework and in one of the assignment threads, found an emerging group of memoir writers. We connected over email and agreed to schedule some Zoom get togethers. We shared what we’re working on, sample queries, then first ten pages. 

Two meetings later, it’s over.  

Dunzo.  

The quickest literary crash-and-burn I’ve ever experienced. 

I think it came down to expectations. I suggested at meeting #1 that we talk about how we were going to offer critiques, but no one seemed interested. At meeting #2 several of the writers got real vicious, castigating one particular writer for their memoir topic, sniffing, “It doesn’t need to be written about.” The attacked writer pushed back, followed up with a buh-bye email, and one of the attackers apologized, but the other doubled-down. 

I liked several of the writers a lot but it’s way too many emails and far too much drama so I’m bowing out. Great subject matter for a short story though. 

Straw into gold!

4 comments:

  1. Straw into gold indeed! I’ve heard of lots of supportive writers who connect informally. I hope you find one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep working on it! Your teachings live on. :)

      Delete
  2. Ego is a terrible thing.
    -WH

    ReplyDelete