Wednesday, April 17, 2024

we're family now

Last week I attended a 90-minute writing workshop with a best-selling local author.
And it's not just that Maurice Carlos Ruffin has sold books. His short story collection, The Ones Who Don't Say They Love You, is both a valentine to and keen-eyed critique of the city of New Orleans.


So, to experience an hour and a half in conversation with MCR was a gift I don't take lightly. At the end, after we'd listened and asked questions and read aloud snippets, he closed by saying, We're family now. You can call on me to have coffee and talk or ask a question anytime.


I couldn't help but contrast this generosity of spirit with the way it went in the PNW. I'm far too shy to ask the famous for help, but a good friend did once on my behalf and I was swiftly swatted down, sternly reminded of my place.


And so. I feel revived and encouraged.


No comments:

Post a Comment