Wednesday, May 13, 2020

neighborhood update

I took an early morning jaunt today. There's more traffic again, on the sidewalk and the street.
More folks wearing masks but still fewer than 50%, if I had to guesstimate.
(Starting Monday the 18th it will be mostly mandatory in King County.)
Dogs seem friendlier. Maybe they're getting sick of their humans too? A couple of pooches gave me a friendly eye as I walked past.
It feels good when a dog smiles at you.
I did walk past a person masturbating under a blanket at the park.
I mean, really going at it. Not my favorite way to start the morning, but also, who am I to judge.
*
Down by Lake Union there was a constant flow of joggers, walkers and cyclists. Mask usage probably declined to about 30%.
I stopped in at Bartell's to try and buy thread but there were only 2 spools of heavy dark gauge, so I said thank you and continued walking.
The 2 clerks wore masks and warily said good-bye.
*
Friends and family check in every day or so, and the routine "How are you?" feels weighted and meaningless at the same time.
When will we be able to see family? The border is still closed, or at least mandatory 14 day quarantine so it may as well be closed.
And who wants Americans coming around, what with our obvious incompetence and even malfeasance?
One good pal was recently diagnosed with cancer, and I'm in awe of their equanimity in the face of what is truly a double whammy.
Another friend is hustling, selling art and making ends meet, somehow.
*
It's Blursday, someone wrote.
Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment