Thursday, March 18, 2021

more reading! and watching!

Reading and watching during pandemic times has brought me joy and relaxation. 

  • Heather Cox Richardson's "How the South Won the Civil War." I thought I knew history but the way HCR can draw parallels from the origins of white settlement in the USA is blowing my mind. A breakdown of the myths we tell ourselves so as not to confront our vicious, white supremacist past.
  • 2 historical books of writings and short stories by Black women. The Portable Nineteenth Century African American Writers includes narratives by slaves and servants. Fascinating and awful and powerful.
  • I bought Amazon Prime for 3 months so I could watch "One Night in Miami" (brilliant and beautifully crafted) and "Small Axe." The latter I'll need to revisit. There is some tough subject matter and I want to watch carefully. 
  • I also watched "Jasper Mall," a documentary about a dying mall in small town Alabama.
  • As much as I dislike Rosamund Pike, "I Care a Lot" has its moments of fun. Dianne Wiest and Peter Dinklage offer up naughty turns. The plot wimps out at the end big time, and there are plot holes big enough for a T Rex to run through. Meh.
  • "Black KkKlansman." This Spike Lee Joint offers up humor, truth and powerful storytelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment