Thursday, June 9, 2022

"Manifest"-ly terrible

I started watching this show "Manifest" on Netflix a few weeks ago. The premise interested me, that a plane leaving Jamaica disappears, only to land 5 1/2 years later. Everyone back home assumed the plane crashed and everyone was dead. Everyone on the plane thought they were landing on schedule.

Mayhem ensues.

But, execution is everything and this fun idea is humongously wasted on lazy scripts and a marginally talented cast, especially the two white leads whose facial expressions run the gamut of Look at me I'm hot, to, Look at me I'm scrunching my eyebrows and I'm hot

The sets are as bland as the farcical writing and bad acting, and I was sure the whole thing was shot in Ottawa instead of New York City but surprisingly it is shot in NYC. Only a show this lame could make one of the most vibrant cities in the world look like one of the least interesting places in Canada.

It was entertaining for a time to see just how lazy the writing was, with so-called detectives casually looking up people of interest on police databases, running ATF ops complete with SWAT teams with no notice, to transporting from Queens to Brooklyn in mere minutes. But it's gone from funny to plain old stupid so I'm done, a little over one season in.

No comments:

Post a Comment