Thursday, June 29, 2023

memoir seeking agent part 1

Welp, I've started the tough task of finding an agent.
My memoir manuscript is complete. And with the guidance of a few trusted professionals, I've written a proposal, synopsis, query letter, chapter summaries, bio, and pitch.
My acceptance rate for short stories hovers in the 40-to-1 ratio which means I'm expecting probably worse numbers with this exercise. (I will note that publishing excerpts from the memoir has been much quicker and successful, which means --? probably not much.)


This week I've submitted to 3 agents.
Agent 1: no response yet
Agent 2: responded 24 hours later saying I had no following so she couldn't possibly sell my book
Agent 3: no response yet


I know the publishing world works as gatekeepers, it rewards the shiny, controversial and new, plus the only other published writer in the family passed away of covid so nepotism won't save me either. I'm going to give this a go anyway, because I believe in my story, and I believe in myself. No one will work harder or be more persistent.
Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment