Thursday, February 15, 2024

What I'm reading (winter 2024)

It's been a mad dash of memoir reading these past months, including a few by celebrities:

Kerry's: the magnificent "Scandal" star's memoir Thicker Than Water reads like a politician's, to me. Elegant, contained, not too revealing. Much like her, think.
Britney's: The Woman in Me reminded me why she's a megastar: it's deeply personal, fun, sad, insightful, and full of longing. I'm embarrassed at how terribly we have treated this genuine artist.
Jada's: I was interested to learn more about Jada Pinkett Smith, apart from the snark and the mean headlines. In Worthy, she writes vividly about her tough Baltimore upbringing, shares rich details about her longtime friendship with Tupac, and generally paints a picture of intellect and accomplishment. It lost me with the woo woo stuff toward the end, though.

In a more literary vein, I just reread Ayaan Hirsi Ali's Infidel. Her story of her determination to live the kind of life she wanted, despite many years of hardships in Somalia and Kenya and Holland, two forced marriages, the loss of a sister and the strictures of men-led religion. Unfortunately now she's leaned into belief in a christian god, but her story is still compelling.

And I was reluctant to read Jennette McCurdy's I'm Glad My Mom Died, mostly due to the title. A thoughtful barista in Memphis urged me to read it nonetheless and I'm glad they did.
What a story, of celebrity, anxiety, abuse, lies and love.
It ended abruptly and in a way I get why, it's almost too much pain to bear ultimately, but I'll just say I'm amazed at McCurdy's bravery and wish her well.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a big memoir reader but I read McCurdy’s because of the title. She’s got a great outlook for all she’s been through.
    -WH

    ReplyDelete