Saturday, June 27, 2020

a juneteenth conversation

Last week I tuned in to watch Ijeoma Uluo and her brother Ahamefule J. Uluo in conversation about Juneteenth. 
Big ups to the King County Library System for hosting the event, which drew at least 5000 viewers on a summer weeknight.
Big not-ups to the moderator, whose utter cluelessness prompted her to ask the siblings to demo "the nod" they mentioned when discussing greetings between people of color.
I groaned aloud on my couch: NOOOOOOOOO! No no no no!
The Uluos handled this question with grace and a firm, "No."
*
Their discussion was wide ranging, pleasant, directed. I realized, yet again, how completely black history has been erased from American culture and society. Gradually, we are beginning to remember.
"The Watchmen" and the Tulsa riots and Black Wall Street. The origins of Central Park in Seneca Village. Black cowboys and Betty Boop.
I need to keep reading and learning and listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment