Tuesday, June 9, 2020

say his name


After 2 more wild nights of flash-bangs, tear gas, pepper spray, and a shooting, I wondered what next for my neighborhood and the protests. (Bear in mind there were at least ten protests/events around King County over the weekend all all but one remained violence-free.)
The rumors started during the day Monday, that the police were leaving the East Precinct.
And lo, it was true.
I had an uneasy night last night, as the rumors were flying about instigators and Proud Boys, but the only outbreak that occurred seems to have been peace and love.
I walked through at noon today and found barricades repurposed as pedestrian safety barriers; I was able to walk down my street and around my neighborhood without the stares of rows and rows of police and national guard. People chatted, held signs, conferred, stood and watched. A news crew did a broadcast. A police officer talked with some city workers. Not a few dog-walkers ambled through.
There is a general sense of relief.
And, determination.


No comments:

Post a Comment