Saturday, August 22, 2020

me...then

I've been working on a project that involves going back through old journals and letters and pictures. I started systematically documenting my life when I was thirteen. It's been fascinating to get to know my teenage self (and more than slightly embarrassing). 

It's telling, what I spend time writing about, and what I mostly omit.

There's a lot in there about fashion, style, clothes, looks. If I were a Gen Z'er I'd probably be living my best life online as a would-be influencer. But, I was low tech back then, and filled my journals with wordy descriptions and pen or pencil sketches.

Here's one from 1987 showing an outfit I longed for. Sleek, with long lines, a wide belt cinching the waist, and topped with a flapper's bob.

No comments:

Post a Comment