Tuesday, January 19, 2021

more de-colonizing my bookshelf

One of the few joys these past few months has been reading. A million thanks to the Seattle Public Library for their robust e-book program. I hadn't realized that libraries license many e-books, instead of outright buying them as they do print editions. Sometimes they're not allowed to even do this until a certain amount of time has passed since publication. A lot of this has to do with greedy ass publishers like McMillan's. So the fact that my own SPL is having to massively bump up its e-book lending without a corresponding increase in funding, is pretty amazing.

I've been reading my way through several brilliant detective series, written by Black women authors. Rachel Howzel Hall, who I mentioned in September, and her LAPD protagonist who is by turns witty, bad-ass, thoughtful and frustrated in love.

And, the incredible Attica Locke. Her series featuring Texas Ranger Darren Mathews is a  thorough exploration of being a Black law enforcement officer in East Texas. She adds in lovely and passionate diversions into the blues music and performers of the area. 

I've also begun reading Celeste Ng. Hulu's adaptation of "Little Fires Everywhere" left me frustrated. The script didn't give the luminous Kerry Washington much to do. The book however is wonderful. 

My sis gave me 2 collections of historical Black writers, so I'm looking forward to digging in there, too.

Read on, y'all.


No comments:

Post a Comment