Wednesday, May 19, 2021

alone

I went for my second vaccination shot alone. As with much of the pandemic and quarantine, news of my uncle's passing, the racial justice protests and election-related alarm, I've experienced major life events in 2020 and 2021 by myself. 

This day was no different. I double-masked and gathered up my documents, went in at the appointed time, filled out paperwork at one station, sanitized my hands about fifteen times, walked to another station where a burly tattooed man checked my paperwork and asked how my day was going and gave me my shot. All within about 8 minutes. I moved to a third area to wait just in case I got blood clots or my airway closed, took a vax selfie, took a picture of my vaccine card, grabbed a banana and left.

It was a world of difference from shot #1, where I waited around a busy grocery store for an hour. Nothing seems predictable in this After Time. I am grateful for science and a city and state that have taken this somewhat seriously. 

Now, two more weeks of waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment