Saturday, May 1, 2021

boona boona

image of coffee cup
I've been waiting for a new coffee shop to open in town. Boona Boona is located in an old Cherry Street Espresso (rip) and the owner is of Eritrean descent. After spending time in Tanzania and Ethiopia, and especially enjoying the coffee roasting ceremony in Debre Birhan, I am solidly a fan of east African coffee.

Not to mention, buna is the Amharic word (ቡና) for coffee! 

Yesterday I ordered the Africano (aka Americano) and it was as robust and beany as I'd hoped.

The imagery on the cup and their merch reminds me of the iconic art you see near the rock-hewn churches in Lalibela, in northern Ethiopia. 

Now I'm thinking about the coffee at Tamoca in Addis Ababa. One day soon we will be able to safely travel again. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment