Monday, May 9, 2022

vax regrets (no not that one)

Feeling some vax regret from last week but not the one you'd think! My primary care doctor talked me into getting my first shingles vaccine a few months ago. She'd been mentioning it and I even tried to schedule it in 2018 or 2019 but there was apparently a vaccine shortage, so I just gave up.

Well here we are in good old twenty-twenty, too, and I said yes to shot#1 and dang, by the end of the day my arm was burning and sore, and I was achy and tired and feverish. Around 9 p.m., I downed Nyquil and limped to bed. The next morning I felt fine, other than the sore arm. So, it was about 12 hours of hell.

The really bad news about the shingles vaccine is that it's also a two-parter. I didn't want to schedule a follow up but I did, and so last week I got shot#2. I did my best to trick my body into shaking it off, chugging Pedialyte and Advil and taking it easy, but once again, by evening my arm was sore and on fire. My whole body felt like old, rusted metal: every movement caused intense pain. I was feverish and also had chills, shivering so badly that I kept shaking off my blankets. I went to bed early after a hefty round of Nyquil, laid down next to a heater, under four blankets and a heating pad and shivered violently all night. By morning I felt better--no more fever or shivering but still sore-armed and meh.

I really hope it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment