Sunday, April 23, 2023

volunteer lyfe

I've been volunteering a bunch these past six months.
Ushering at a museum. Helping out at festivals.
Last week I worked an info booth beside a 70-something woman from Tennessee who talked for an hour without perceptibly taking a breath, and ranged from Fox News headlines to tales of a runaway dog.
Two days previous my attempts to volunteer were thwarted by too many volunteers (!) so after wandering fruitlessly from beer tent to beer tent, I gave up and went to see some music instead.
I will say the large population of boomers is interesting and somewhat annoying. There's an air of entitlement I don't care for. They haul around canvas chairs and coolers and try to elbow out anyone who might want to enjoy themselves. Sorry not sorry old folks, but kindly fuck off.
*
Today another orientation for a big event coming up in May. I'm not really meeting anyone which was kind of the goal, but I am enjoying myself and getting to know a city that has given me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment