Saturday, July 24, 2021

the border

It's been 17 months since I've seen my family in Canada, except for a brief, ditch-hurdling interlude at Peace Arch Park a couple of weeks ago.

17 months.

We've missed birthdays, anniversaries, 2 Fourth of Julys, Christmas, Thanksgiving, a high school grad, a ballet finale and that's just the official stuff. 

Finally, last week, it looked like the restrictions were easing. Canada's percentage of vaxxed adults surpassed the US and they announced fully vaccinated Americans could come north in August. And then a day later, the US said Nope.

So, now what? 

I wept when I saw the news. I'd finally allowed myself to feel some hope, of seeing my family, of catching up on get togethers, the hanging out, the silliness, the snacks.

Nope.

It's truly disheartening and exhausting.

I guess we are back to ditch-jumping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment