Saturday, July 3, 2021

melting in the PNW

we are closed too hot
A lot has been written about the heat this week in the PNW. Seattle had temps 100+ for 3 days straight. Portland and Vancouver, BC were even hotter. Most of us don't have AC so mostly people just sweltered or rode a bus with air conditioning or lingered a bit in the frozen section at the grocery store. Restaurants closed early due to malfunctioning equipment. My rental has a small old window unit that chugged along more or less until Sunday night, when my indoor temps hit 90 and the unit blew in a fetid breeze and nothing I could do would make the temperature budge any lower. 

I wept with frustration, drank ice water, put my bedsheets in the freezer for a bit, and lay down to sweat all night.

And I had it good. Hundreds of people died or became ill with heatstroke. It feels like the climate emergency is now.

No comments:

Post a Comment