Saturday, July 16, 2022

special

I have loved this woman's music for a few years now. Haven't heard all of the new album but this song, "Special," hits me in the feels. As she said on IG, "Fighting for our rights is self care."


I've also been watching "Southside," and it started a lil slow but snuck up on me and became one of my favorites. Set in Chicago at a Rent-to-Own store, it plays with themes of race, gender, poverty, creativity, hustle, police violence and it's laugh out loud by yourself on your couch funny. 



Aaaaand I can't not mention "Abbott Elementary." I resisted for awhile thinking it was a feel-good family drama about school teachers. Ha! It is feel-good and it's also hilarious. The wonderful Janell James as delusional principal Ava pitted against idealistic young teachers including thrice-Emmy-nominated Quinta Brunson, and a host of other characters with purpose and sharp wit. And the kids aren't smart alecky little shits, they're like most kids I know, supremely uninterested in adult life and marginally tolerant of their interactions. A must watch. Cannot wait for season 2.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment