Sunday, July 31, 2022

the staircase the staircase

I watched HBO Max’s versionof “The Staircase” over the past couple of scorching weeks, and was interested to compare it to the documentary of the same name on Netflix. After finishing the HBO version I started re-watching Netflix, and it’s been interesting. Much as I like Colin Firth, he brings none of the erudite charm I see from Michael Peterson in the documentary. Yes, MP is annoying and a liar, but I can see how he’s able to bring people into his orbit. The Firth MP seems so schlubby and unlikable. A mistake, I think.And no pipe!

Also the focus on the kids’ drama in the HBO version felt like a distraction. Of course Martha and Margaret are conflicted about supporting the man who adopted them but also kind of fibbed about how their mom died. But I tired of the long scenes of them moping, hiding their true selves, which are dramatically revealed later in the series.. It felt too neat.

Both series play with themes of truth and belief, which of course I’m interested in. So much to watch and think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment