Tuesday, January 9, 2024

a very bsp holiday recap

BSP thoroughly enjoyed the December holidays and despite Amtrak’s horrific performance (“we don’t consider a 2.5 hour delay to be severe” lol) I managed to get to mostly everything planned (no Ben and Esther’s Reuben, RIP) and then some.

BSP+partner caught an early Xmas Eve flight, landed early, grabbed coffee, dropped bags at a hotel and hopped on light rail to meet friends for brunch at Geraldines. We met another pal for the wondrous Dina Martina’sfinal Christmas show, then headed to Octopus for a fun, chaotic friendy-friend gathering over cocktails and tater tots.

Xmas Day we drove a couple hours south to hang with a sister, niece and b-in-law, pet an anxious puppy and enjoy delicious brunch strata. Then back to Seattle to board Amtrak for a very late arrival across the border in Vancouver. Sister + b-in-law met us with snacks, drinks, and a ride to our Chinatown airbnb.

Banks, stores and venues were closed for Boxing Day so we went for an early walk, hit a grocery store for instant coffee (the airbnb provided a scant teaspoon for our 3 night stay), then hung out with the fam, looking through an old recipe box and enjoying amazing cookies and treats. For dinner we had Chinese food -- spicy green beans, fluffy tofu -- and croissant bread pudding, a family favorite and gut-buster.

The next morning we took another early walk, to the bank, Tim Horton’s for coffee, and Salvation Army for deals. Errands complete, we hung out with the fam again, enjoying BC coffee and tea and a movie; then a family dinner, all the Mediterranean mezze we could eat at Chickpea, one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants anywhere. Then drinks with my niece and her partner, and a pleasant walk along Main Street home.

I worked some our last day in Vancouver, worried about an impending re-org. My sis made an amazing vegetarian pie for lunch, we watched a movie and then hustled to catch Amtrak back to the US. It was an arduous trip, with 2+ hour delays, not enough seats, and a dining car that ran out of food. Disappointing but not surprising. We grabbed light rail VERY late in Seattle, checked into a hotel, then fled to Blue Moon for restorative drinks.

Friday -- too early -- I light-railed to Othello, grabbed ube mochi at Le's Bakery, then met a good pal who agreed to drive me out to my cabin to check on things. We had a relaxed day of coffee, catching up, some outdoor time cleaning gutters, then veggie burgers and cider by the waterfront. I got back to Seattle in time to change shoes and meet a friend for some Goodwill runs and a late dinner at Uptown China.

My partner was headed back the next day so we took it somewhat easy, getting coffee at ETG and chatting with the owner, who gave us a ride up to the Hill. I’d hoped to get one last Reuben from Ben and Esther’s but alas, they were closed, so we said goodbye and walked up to Dough Joy for vegan donuts. Then an easy walk back to the hotel in the mist, dinner at Little Thai, a brief friend hangout, and light rail to the airport.

New Year’s Eve! I worked a little, watched dumb TV and then met my Friday friend for an epic night.

Welcome 2024 (written with utmost caution). I met a friend for coffee on the hill, heard about her plans for grad school overseas, then met sister+niece+b-in-law for bubble tea in the ID. I made my way via bus back to my hotel, light rail packed with Kraken fans, then had a quiet night preparing for in-office work.

Tuesday after work I met friends at College Inn Pub, grateful it’s still there even though the nachos weren’t good. Wednesday was another Blue Moon hangout with a pal, and Thursday I packed up, endured some painful work meetings, then hopped light rail to meet a friend for one more Thai dinner at Mango Thai before heading to the airport. Just grateful I got home before Alaska Airlines literally imploded.

My heart is full, my wallet light. So much love and family and friends. I’m grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment