Friday, December 11, 2020

what a time to be alive

Per the Washington Post on Saturday, only 25 Republicans (out of 249 polled), would say on the record that Joe Biden won the 2020 US Presidential election. I'm linking through Complex in case you don't have a Wapo account.

Profiles in courage, as always. 

It baffles me. Boggles the mind. It doesn't seem accidental nor does it seem cowardly. It's a choice. A decision. It's treasonous, really. 

*

I also read the live chats on the Post website. On Fridays, Carolyn Hax hosts what's billed as an advice chat and it is, but it's sensible, thoughtful, funny advice (I guess as opposed to what I perceive as the Ann Landers/Miss Manners corporate advice business). Reading Hax is like a conversation with a wise friend. In the December 4 chat, a person wrote in about living alone and working from home during pandemic times, and how their friends no longer check in on them and how very alone they feel. 

Then another a-loner wrote in. And another. Soon there was a flurry of posts.

Busysmartypants is one of those a-loners. It is a lonely time. I try to stay busy with work, writing, mutual aid projects and online hangouts. I try to check in regularly on my other lone friends--a quick text or meme or e-mail, sometimes an actual greeting card--and am happily surprised on the rare occasion someone checks in on me, too. 

There is a mental health toll that will be paid on the other side of this pandemic/political nightmare in which we live. Especially for Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment