Wednesday, May 25, 2011

cop shop

This picture is from the Seattle police department's west precinct. I spent five hours riding with a female officer last week. I'm no fan of the cops but I'm no hater either. Like most people, they're doing the best they can with a shit job. Sure, some of them are assholes, but a-holes are everywhere, although most of them don't have the power to lock you up or fuck you up pretty royal. Anyway, it was a fascinating night:
  • Lots of drunk people, street people, stoned people--sometimes all three at once
  • As we drove by Westlake looking for an escaped shoplifter, the street kids saw me in the patrol car and started yelling "snitch in the front seat"
  • I saw a dead guy OD'ed on heroin in Pioneer Square, naked from the waist up, medics frantically trying to bring him back
  • One time, we slammed through downtown, lights and sirens, down one way streets and through red lights, and it was the bomb
  • And damn do cops get hit on. A lot. In person, in The Stranger, you name it.
Anyway, thanks SPD. It was coolio. No offense, but I hope our paths never cross again.

No comments:

Post a Comment