Saturday, April 21, 2018

smug alert

It feels like a daily battle not to be smug.
I have a lot going for me, you know.
I'm a white American.
Educated.
Relatively well-nourished.
I have decent housing and enough food and access to all kinds of culture--music, movies, performances.
In a world of mostly have-nots, I'm a have. I have the stars upon thars (or was it the other way around?).
It's easy to get comfortable, to laze into the routine of work, home, boyfren time, me time, play time Netflix, a good book, sleep--it's easy to forget to remember to create.
How do I remind myself to push myself, to think different, read differently, try to learn to see differently and experience the world fresh and unarmored?
*
I must add, big big ups to one of my favorite artists, Kendrick Lamar, on his Pulitzer win this week.
Here's a video and song I think about often.


No comments:

Post a Comment