Sunday, September 30, 2018

women in flight

You might remember from my last video, that I was bemoaning the dearth of female travel writers.
Well, I did some homework, made up a list for my Seattle Public Library account, and started reading. Today I review 2 books by women travelers in Yemen and in the Congo, both in the 1930's:
Freya Stark's A Winter in Arabia, and Emily Hahn's Congo Solo.
At a time when the world was gearing up for war and women had only recently gotten the vote in the US and were still viewed as inferior beings, these women traveled far, oftentimes alone, and stayed for months, learning a culture and shedding some of their assumptions and biases. Hahn in particular is a vivacious writer (and indeed wrote for the New Yorker for many years).
Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment