Monday, March 22, 2021

this is love (coffee)

 

rwanda coffee beans
Today I received a wonderful gift of freshly roasted coffee beans from Rwanda. The owner of ETG has been raving about these beans for a couple of weeks now, and today she gave me a sample to try at home. The growers apparently have freed themselves from the constraints of Monsanto to make their coffee business organic and free trade. I love her excitement and I'm so grateful for the gift.

*

At the grocery store, the clerk paused ringing up my items to watch a pair of older whyte women who breezed in, chatting, maskless. We both watched them proceed deep into the store.

"Mask-holes," he muttered, irritated. 

They pulled on their masks a few moments later. Haha. We forgot.

"How does anyone forget now?" I said. Seriously. How?

"I'd like to forget," he said. 

We're all weary. As I bagged my items--fruit, toothpaste tabs, pasta--we chatted about vaccine availability. He and his fellow clerks are eligible now as front line workesr, but supply has been low. He said the front page of the Financial Times had an article explaining that there is now a shortage of vials.

"How did we not see that coming?!" I said, despondent.

"Take care of yourself," he said, as I left, and I wished him the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment