Tuesday, June 8, 2021

remembering chop

the door at Crybaby Studios
Crybaby Studios
A year ago the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) aka CHOP (Capitol Hill Occupied Protest) emerged squirming into public consciousness. 

Now the city is denying permits for a Juneteenth celebration/CHOP remembrance and I can't say I'm sad about it. The way CHOP morphed into a souvenir-shilling block party still rankles. I still have nightmares about seeing my neighbor being beat in front of our building, hearing blasts of tear gas and grenades deep into the night, the burning of pepper spray in my sinuses, the wild frustration of watching squadrons of cops in riot gear parade around a neighborhood they so clearly scorn.

The cops fled. People died. The head cop and the mayor deleted their texts. It's still so messy and gross.

I walked by the park the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, when the George Floyd protests erupted. Omari Salisbury of Converge Media was setting up to broadcast a one year anniversary show. The park was otherwise quiet, just a few dog walkers, Dirty Dog not yet open for business.

I hope there is a way for us to remember the spirit of the protests, and rededicate ourselves to making positive change. I don't know that it will happen at Cal Anderson, or even on the hill. I just know it needs to continue to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment