Sunday, January 23, 2022

deus ex cinema

Many Sundays are movie days for me. I chef up some popcorn, grab a beverage and hit the couch to watch one, two, even three movies, anything that looks interesting or fun. It feels luxurious to give myself these hours to watch what I want. The only rule is if I'm not enjoying it, move on and and find something else. 

Last week I watched "Icarus," a documentary that starts out as a look at the world of doping in cycling and morphs into a real-world thriller involving a crooked Russian scientist, a massive scandal and at least one suspicious death. 

I also plowed through "Justice League," the Zack Snyder cut. Cyborg and Flash were by far the most interesting and fun characters. DC really is a vibe killer, and not subtle when it comes to family and romantic melodrama (will Wonder Woman ever pass the Bechdel test?). When Superman stood on screen shirtless, his gut sucked in, chest hair carefully shaped and manicured, I cackled out loud. At least Ben Affleck seems to realize that Batman is ridiculous and plays him as louche and disaffected.

And speaking of superheroes, I also watched the "Hawkeye" series, which for me was mostly successful due to its lack of focus on Jeremy Renner. I truly enjoyed the up-and-comer archer played by Hailey Steinfeld, as well as Echo, the complex enforcer who is Native American and a deaf woman and fights to kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment