Saturday, December 2, 2023

big kid friendship

Ahoy and hello.
The colonialist holiday got the best of me last week so I laid low and worked on some writing projects.
Check out this article about making friends as an adult.
As a work-from-home newcomer in a place grounded in centuries-old traditions and generational relationships, it's been hard to develop new friendships.
One of the first things I did here (as per the article) was reach out to acquaintances.
Lol.
One ignored me, one strung me along, then ghosted. The third met for coffee once and then disappeared, only to pop up here and there to ask how my holidays were (rude, I'm alone, duh) or when I'm moving back to the PNW (ok bye).
So, I pivoted to new friendships. Those have been tough, too but I've been patient and finally met some transplants and a local writer or two.
Had to weed out the religious because they just want to convert me but otherwise I'm keeping expectations low and flexibility high.
It feels unnatural to this Capricorn! But I don't know what else to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment