Saturday, November 3, 2018

placeholders

Something has been on my mind for awhile. I'm suddenly in a phase where a lot of my friends are in serious relationships and have disappeared. Gone, down the s.o. wormhole.
No more aimless roaming around town.
No more $5 shows, a quick smoke in the parking lot on the corner, and a loud dirty band in a dive bar.
*
Where I invite a pal to hang out and they have to check with the s.o.
Where I invite a pal to hang out and they show up with the s.o.
Where I feel like a third wheel.
Where even if the s.o. doesn't come with, all I hear about is the s.o.
*
Where I get "we'd."
"We're in."
"Oh, we love that."
"We had a busy weekend, better not."
*
I am happy that my pals are getting loved up.
I really like most of the s.o.'s. Not the mean ones, or the ones that pick fights. But most of them are rad people!
It makes me feel like somewhat of a placeholder. When they were single and had free time it was fine to hang out.
But now they're busy.
Now they hang out with other couples, maybe go to brunch.
*
They'll be back, I guess. Once the shine's off the apple.
Maybe?
If there's kids though, then it's over. See ya in 18 years, losers.



No comments:

Post a Comment