Thursday, February 18, 2021

ALT and the chiffon trenches

Thanks to SPL I just finished reading Andre Leon Talley's "The Chiffon Trenches."

It's an engaging heart breaker. While I adored the photographs and the stories, I wished so much that ALT had been treated with the love and respect he so clearly deserves. What monsters Wintour and Lagerfeld are and were. I know ALT raves over their largesse, but this Black man who speaks fluent French and lives for a divine sleeve and has encyclopedic knowledge of and adoration for the history of fashion deserves far better than petty slights, scoldings about his weight, and ignominious dumping from his livelihood at Vogue

By chance, I heard his mellifluous cackle on NPR the other night, and in turn was pointed to this video of ALT in conversation Diane von Furstenburg and the curator of the Art Gallery of Ontario. The topic was Studio 54, and it was such a treat, hearing and seeing about Carolina Herrera and Halston and Grace Jones. But even more, I loved the gentle caring friendship between ALT and DVF. 

True icons, both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment