Saturday, February 13, 2021

snowpocalypse 2021

snow covered cherub

Wild excitement in the PNW: we woke up to a winter wonderland of snow. Even my scroogey old heart felt a flutter, looking at the smooth, snowy hillocks. I put on my Docs and started a long trudge around the neighborhood.

Two articulated Metro buses got stuck on an uphill in short order. The usual yahoos in trucks spun out. Lots of confused-looking dogs. Delirious kids. 

It's been cold the past few days--in the thirties. There was a half inch or so of snow and ice on the ground from Thursday, when my block also suffered an 8 hour power outage. I lit candles, uncorked the bourbon and fired up my solar generator to keep my phone charged and heating pad warm, but it was still a very dark and chilly night. I awoke to see my clock radio blinking and sprang out of bed to fire up the heat.

Let's hope there won't be a part deux.

*

Updated: later Saturday I walked up Thomas, and then Denny, both of which were closed to cars, dodging snowboarders, skiers and sleds. At the park, DJs had set up human-sized speakers bumping dance music. People stood on mostly distant clumps, mostly masked, as snow continued to fall. Dogs in little coats ran around, chasing each other. A shirtless guy rolled in the snow.  It was a moment of joy.

snow!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment