Monday, February 22, 2021

doing the most

I was making my weekly stop at my favorite coffee window and the owner was drizzling chocolate over oatmeal cookies. We traded pleasantries about last week's snow, and then she straightened. "Who are all these people eating in restaurants? Don't they realize how dangerous it is for servers?"

King County is in phase 2 and yes, I'm alarmed by the packed restaurants and bars, too. Just because we're Ameri-cans, doesn't mean we Ameri-should. The coffee shop owner long ago closed off the entrance door and merrily serves coffee, pastries and a lively chatter from behind a Plexiglass window.

She added, "Well, now you know a lot more about your friends."

It's true. I guess they know more about me, too.

I'm still declining offers of backyard BBQs and sidewalk cafe beers. It's just not worth the risk.

I'm keeping up a weekly takeout rotation, trying to tip well and be forgiving even when things go awry. One restaurant who shall remain nameless completely missed my order on a very cold morning last week. I went for a 20 minute walk while they pulled it together.

My boss keeps talking about a return to normal, but I don't want to go back. I want to reinvent. I want to do better and not just for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment