Saturday, March 28, 2020

an informal survey of a neighborhood

I took a quick, hopefully non-germy walk to pick up groceries and coffee.
It's interesting who's thoughtful and kind, in terms of keeping distance, waiting their turn, etc.
I gotta say, gentlefolk of the male persuasion, you're not doing great.
Is it privilege? Do they not know better? Are they dumb?
I don't have answers. Just noticing that the people crowding me, not giving space, not yielding, including driving like assholes, are 90% white dudes.
*
A quick PSA: Kidd Valley takout is not a good idea. Much as I love their veggie burger and want them to stay afloat, they are taking orders over the phone, online and in person simultaneously, with all customers crammed into a tiny front area. Not. Good.
*
Much as I'm griping, there is kindness around. At the market, I miraculously found cleaning solution and a breakfast sandwich. I thanked the cashier for being there. He said he hoped the store could stay open. I said I did too, but to please be safe. He said that I was like family, because I've been coming in for so many years, and to be well.
At the coffee shop, strictly limited to 3 persons inside, I ordered coffee and asked about filters. They were out, but the owner gave me some from the store's personal stash and wouldn't take any money for them. I tipped well but still. Wow.
*
More boarded up windows and so-long messages around town.
Oddfellows
@ben_busy

No comments:

Post a Comment