Wednesday, March 18, 2020

the show goes on

I"m happy to report that it hasn't taken musicians and artists long to figure out a way to share their performances on livestream. It means the world to me, as a dedicated fan of live shows, and I suspect we're only just getting started.
*
Saturday evening the Seattle Symphony broadcast a Mahler symphony. Normally I wouldn't know one classical piece from another, but this was a real treat: professional musicians playing with strength and beauty. (I was relieved that it was only an hour, though.)
*
Monday I checked out the Metropolitan Opera's broadcast of Carmen. You have to use their app and I couldn't get my subtitles to work but it was also lovely.
*
Tuesday night was burlesque performer Trixie Paprika reading of a Sherlock Holmes tale for Noveltease Theatre. Not really my thing, I discovered, but I appreciated the coy energy.
*
Tonight I had the pleasure of watching the Monty Banks Trio perform at Buffa's, live in the back room, in New Orleans. I'd tuned in for my all-time favorite Treme Brass Band but they had a sick band member and so Monty Banks it was. The patter, the jazz, the porkpie hats--I felt almost as though I were in a tiny little club in one of my favorite cities in the world. There are shows all week and a tipjar right on the page. Laissez les bon temps roulez...online.


No comments:

Post a Comment