Monday, March 30, 2020

sew tired but worth it

Welp, busysmartypants is in the mask-making business. After a few failed attempts I finally connected with a local group sewing masks for medical providers: Gathering Roots.
I filled out a google doc on Saturday, and yesterday morning received an e-mail inviting me to Slack and sharing links to a how-to video as well as a fabric provider who could Lyft over as many kits as I wanted to order. Around 8pm last night, a friendly Lyft driver dodged cops trying to shoo him off the streets and handed me 2 boxes containing pre-cut fabric squares, filters, and elastic bands.
*
A short pause here to acknowledge I don't have a sewing machine and am not much of a crafter, but these days of sitting around while friends and family who work in hospitals are exposed to covid-19 has been so frustrating. An intrepid cousin in Colorado inspired me to try harder -- she ordered furnace filters online and has been sewing her own masks. Another relative dug up a trove of new N95 masks she'd bought for a project and shipped them off to cousins on the front lines. This family!
*
So, I watched the video about ten times and nervously got started. The first mask was too small I think and I messed up the elastic but I'm getting better. I bleached my needle and thread and scissors and keep sanitizing and washing my hands and trying my hardest to work quickly. I've got 10 done and will try and do 5 a day until I get all 50 done.
It ain't much but it's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment