Sunday, May 10, 2020

this one hurts

News this weekend that our beloved Re-Bar won't be re-opening at its current location downtown.
We've known for awhile that Re-Bar was in jeopardy, a comforting dance oasis in a forest of condos and office towers.
Re-Bar was where you went on Sunday nights for Flammable, the longest-running house night in the country.
Re-Bar was where for many years my pals and I bought tickets for Dina Martina's Christmas and Easter shows, lining up an hour or more in advance of the door, sharing a joint and then rushing in to try and find good seats--close but not too close.
Re-Bar is where I found myself again after a deadening marriage, and where I met my current beau.
It was grimy and no-nonsense and you never knew who you'd see in the bathroom or the photo booth, but it was a safe space and I'll miss it forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment