Tuesday, June 2, 2020

more conversations we are having

I have to put away social media and the news for all but discrete moments, because the overwhelming feeling right now, every time I see an update or read a news story, is fear.
I don't want to ignore reality, but I also want to function and make good decisions.
So.
Today, after several days of protests, looting and rioting, I logged on to work.
A work pal texted to see how I'm doing. They're Asian and have worried about facing stigma for wearing masks. Word had it University Village was to be today's looting target.
A co-worker talked about their s.o. who is African American, and the worries they have for their one-year-old child.
My siblings and I had an hour long call where we traded updates and wept a little.
The last time I cried every day when I read the news was 9/11.
I know we can come out of this stronger and better.
I know we can.
I need to believe it. And then join in to work towards it.
*
And it's Pride month. Usually a time of great joy and excitement in this city.
This year, muted and unsettled. But still here and I still intend to be an ally.




No comments:

Post a Comment