Monday, July 6, 2020

48 hours of zipcar finds

For the car-free among us, Zipcar is an unfortunate necessity of life.
I say unfortunate because even though it's on the whole an OK car-by-hour service, it's gotten expensive and the customer support is non-existent. Twice recently I've needed to call Zipcar--once to tell them I was going to be late, once to tell them someone left their house keys in the car--and both times, it was impossible to get through.
Scenario 1 involved waiting on hold for 40 minutes, agreeing via automated menu to a callback which never came, and driving like a bat out of hell to be 1 minute late. Whew. But also, ugh.
Scenario 2 never even got to on hold status. I called a few times, heard 1 or 2 rings, and went to a fast busy signal.
*
Here are the items I've recovered in my two Zipcar rentals in the past two days.
  • 2 zipcards (this is what you use to open and close your car)
  • 1 bucket of quarters and Susan B. Anthony dollars
  • some batteries
  • someone's house keys




It's impossible to return any of this without talking to Zipcar. I've filed reports online, tweeted @zipcar, called (see above), and finally, given up.
Most everything I've just left in the cars, for the cycle to either repeat itself with the next renter.
Or not, if they choose to ignore the items.
It's an exercise in never solving a problem.
It's 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment