Wednesday, July 8, 2020

people not property


My walk this morning took me through the former CHOP.
The park is still closed, sort of, if you look sketchy or linger too long.
It's beyond infuriating, during a pandemic, and living in an apartment, to also be forbidden from using a public city park.
But, I guess we are beyond infuriated and outraged.
*
Men on ladders were busily unscrewing plywood from the windows of Molly Moons and the Bartell's on Pike. I noticed that Blick's beautiful murals were gone, too.
I said good morning to a couple of folks sitting on the sidewalk near Seattle Central. One was just stretching his legs, bleary eyed, a companion screaming, It's time to wake the fuck up!
*
As I walked back up Pine, the plaintive wail of a horn wafted across the morning. Not a brass horn, but something older, more primal. It sounded like a Viking battle cry. I kept walking.
Two gray-haired women took photos of the Black Lives Matter street mural.
At the corner of Pine and 11th, I passed a grave-faced man wearing a fringed shawl, who carried a long, twisty animal horn.
That was beautiful, I said, and he said Thank you ma'am, and kept walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment