Friday, July 3, 2020

Masks around the state

I took a road trip to get some nature and breathe clean air. And, to have a look at the mask sitch. My companion and I masked up, gassed up and hit the road.
  • The ferries: B+. All ferry workers masked, most passengers, everyone stayed in their vehicles. Except the obvious plain clothes officer driving an SUV with a blue lives sticker, wearing a blue lives t shirt and camo pants and who got preferential placement on and off the ferry (I had to jam on my brakes so he could exit first)
  • Town 1: A-. Most folks
  • Gas stop: C-. Several unmasked older folk, glaring defiantly
  • Town 2: B+. Mix of masks and no masks. To the 3 lingering at tables inside a coffee shop I mean whyyyyy?! Is free wi fi worth dying for?
  • Mexican joint for takeout: A
  • Asian joint for takeout: D. The kid taking orders wore a mask but the owner did not. The owner walked close to me, asking me questions and when I asked him not to come closer since he wasn't wearing a mask, he got angry and said he was far enough away and if I didn't like it I shouldn't come back. The kid hustled out and gave me my food and I left, saying to the owner, That wasn't very nice. Once outside, I realized I didn't want the food, so I went back in and put it on the table. The owner said he would give me my money back but I said No thanks, and went across the parking lot to El Sabor. Shaken, I waited for food and saw the kid come outside, looking for me. I went out. He apologized and gave me my money and asked what had happened. I told him. I was not angry. Just incredulous. You're not safe working there, I said to the kid. He said, The owner is a good guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment