Thursday, July 16, 2020

hard to know part 2 (million)

Back in February I mused about current events and wondered how much I should worry.
Turns out, quite a lot!
Also, I'm glad I didn't know what was to come.
*
A family member messaged me a few days ago about the current standoff among the Seattle mayor, police chief and city council about reallocating funding, and I said, only half joking, We're at war.
I think we are in the middle of several undeclared wars.
--With the federal government, now hiding data about a pandemic that is raging unchecked within many states
--With fellow citizens refusing to do simple things that would safe lives and end the lockdown quicker
--With centuries of systemic racism including in good old liberal Seattle
--With wildly inappropriate funding models for schools, communities, law enforcement, business
--With the guns/god/gays crowd, emboldened and crawling out of the woodwork
*
I could go on but I won't.
I still have a measure of hope, tempered with caution. The roughest days may still be ahead.
We must stay healthy, stay energized, stay positive.
The sustained energy of the daily protests and dialogues encourages me.
Change is possible.
Those whom have benefited the longest will fight the hardest, but we can outlast them.
We will.






No comments:

Post a Comment