Thursday, April 2, 2020

rent strike, or the complexities of capitalism

I spoke with my apartment manager the other day. I was pretty hacked off about the monumentally tone-deaf e-mail they sent out last week advising tenants to find another job (!) or file for unemployment benefits (!!). It was a good talk, actually, and I realize the manager is also caught in the middle. I got the sense they wanted to help and are being handcuffed by a less than generous owner.
So, I need to figure out who actually owns my apartment building.
The Seattle City Council passed a largely symbolic resolution calling for suspension of rent and mortgage payments.
I did request some rent relief from my property manager, who encouraged me to do so even though I'm still employed, and just taking on extra expenses for my s.o. who is on week 3 of looking for work.
So, mal sehen, as the Germans say. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment