Thursday, October 22, 2020

what I'm reading

Besides the news and Twitter--obsessively--I'm reading a lot.

I finally got the Bryan Washington collection I've wanted to read so I am pretty excited.

I'm double-fisting Samantha Irby collections--"Wow No Thank You" and "We are Never Meeting in Real Life." She is such a talented writer. Perceptive, funny, ruthless. I nearly snorted up a gulp of fizzy water yesterday reading her piece on home ownership. 

Also, Attica Locke's "Bluebird Bluebird." I'm a huge fan of mystery novels and this is a delight. Taut story, complicated characters, keenly-drawn setting: I'm racing through it and also wishing it would never end. 

Recently I read Susan Choi's "Trust Exercise." It was alright--I ran out of gas about halfway through, but she is the kind of insightful writer, gentle but lethal, that I love and am supremely jealous of. 

I'm also starting to lag behind on The New Yorker. After a run of wonderful and diverse short stories, they seem to be reverting back to old (white) favorites. Time to drop them a line.


No comments:

Post a Comment